noodle casserole (Czech Šunkafleky)

Posted by Pussycat in Main Dishes | 55 Comments

Yum

I know I haven’t posted lately, but it’s exam and final paper time and I have just a short few days left until I’m done for the session.   As much as I needed to get onto my paper this morning I just couldn’t help myself from posting this carb laden recipe.  Šunkafleky, or a noodle casserole was just the thing I needed on a day like today.  It’s April 15th in Winnipeg and this was the weather this morning!

Assiniboine ParkIMG_0064 2013

YIKES!!!

Assiniboine ParkIMG_0117 2013

So much for April showers bringing May flowers.

And so I’m in the mood for some serious carbs… this is a noodle dish filled with chunks of ham and baked with eggs.

Noodle Casserole square left 20131

This dish hardly needs instructions it’s so easy.  Cook a package of noodles, al dente, strain and place in a greased casserole dish. Chop up a couple of slices of ham and/or thick cut bacon and fry up in a pan, mix this into the noodles.  In a separate bowl mix about 6 eggs and 1 and 1/2 cups of milk and blend until frothy.  Salt and Pepper the egg mixture liberally and pour over the noodles.

Noodle Casserole square centred 20131

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with pickles and/ or pickled beets.

Just so easy!

Noodle Casserole square right 20131

55 Responses to noodle casserole (Czech Šunkafleky)

1. Levi says:

My grandmother, (full blood Czech) used to make this at Christmas time. I loved it. Thanks for the recipe, I’ll have to try it out.

• Pussycat says:

You’ll have to let me know how it turns out… hope it’s just like your grandma’s…. Thanks for stopping by… 🙂

• Ron Hrubes says:

Maybe I’m wrong but I thought chunka was ham in Czech and fleitschke was noodles. My mother made this when ever. We Had leftover ham.She always baked it. I’m 3/4 Czech 1/4 Scottish.Havent made this in along time

2. Valerie says:

Thanks for sharing this. My mother used to make this for us, although the recipe came from my father’s side of the family (her side is Polish, his Czech).

For some reason, we always ate it with dollops of ketchup on top, and I’d never heard of having it with pickles. Perhaps it was a Chicago (or American) thing.

• Pussycat says:

Thanks so much for the comment, I’m pretty sure I’ve never had it with ketchup, though some of my memories are a bit dusty…. I’ll have to try it for sure. I suppose that if you really like ketchup on things then it would certainly work. Thanks again for the comment, now you know of course… that I’ll have to make it again and have it with ketchup! 🙂

3. Eliška says:

Hi, I’m Czech and for me all of the above sounds right 🙂 I’ve had šukofleky many times, with ketchup or pickes or red beets. Although, never ketchup and pickles together 😀

• Pussycat says:

Red beets sound familiar, similar to pickles with the pickled part. I suppose I’ll have to make them again and try them with ketchup now that they’re on my mind and I have a craving for them again. Thanks for all the comments folks! 🙂

4. Holly says:

My grandma (1st generation American, from Czech immigrant parents) used to make this often, she always shortened it to “fleky”, which my mom still couldn’t pronounce so we always called it “hammy eggy noodly stuff”. Grandma always cooked it on the stove top, stirring the ham and noodles with the egg until the egg was finished cooking, kind of like a scramble instead of a casserole. True comfort food that still make me remember my grandma whenever I make it.

• Pussycat says:

Awe, I like that story. It never ceases to amaze me how much food brings us ‘home’. I also never heard of it being cooked that way, thanks for sharing. I’ll have to try it that way the next time since I always struggle a bit with ‘how much’ egg mixture to put in to make it a good bake. Especially since I almost never measure the noodles.

Thanks again for stopping by and sharing a part of your Czech history!

5. Dollye Zezulka says:

Love this site ,stumbled onto it quite by accident. I was looking for a traditional Czech kitchen scene to have a mosaic back splash made for my kitchen. My husband if 100% Czech,1st generation Czech. He is also the Honorary Consul General of The Czech Republic,to Louisiana ,Mississippi and Al. I am going to be visiting your site for intresting Czech meals I will try this noodle casserole this weekend,sounds yummy!! Thanks,Dollye Zezulka

• Pussycat says:

I’m so glad you found me! I’m more than happy to share recipes…. and I have to admit we’re planning a trip to New Orleans because I love all the spicy food and of course not to mention sea food! Let me know how the sunkafleky work out for you!

Thanks so much for your comments!
      Charlotte

6. Monica says:

Hi – I make these every time I have left over ham. My mom taught me how to make it. The difference is that I sautee onions in butter first and then add in the cubes of ham and sautee together. Also, we always made it with elbow macaroni – it keeps it moister. Mix the ham and onions into the cooked macaroni and then add in about 4 eggs and stir all together. Put it in the oven and bake it for about half an hour. Divine!

7. Marie Fox says:

Isn’t the name of this “fleitschke’?

• Pussycat says:

Hi there,
      I suppose it could certainly go by other names but I grew up with Czech parents who didn’t come to Canada until they were in their 20’s and 30’s and this is what they always called it.

8. Steven Flanders (mom was a Chlumsky) says:

I’m from a part Czech family. My mother always made the noodles/ pasta from scratch, cut into squares. Then the ham was fried separately, and ham and drippings stirred in over pasta. It wasn’t baked in oven, nor was it a casserole. Served it with mustard, ketchup, horseradish, pickle relish, or whatever to taste. Think it was a recipe that started out as you direct, but then changed over time in America, and living in Kansas through the Dust Bowl. thanks for the information.

9. Ric Vrana says:

Have you ever heard of a dish called “fliscky”? It’s a lot like this but uses the small manischewitz flake noodles. When you add the ham and egg/milk mixture, the cooked flakes lie flat like geologic strata and the casserole is dense. I live in the Pacific Northwest and so I make a version that adds some smoked salmon in addition to the ham! But I don’t remember using as many eggs as you suggest. Six? That’s a lot of eggs.

• Pussycat says:

Hi Ric,

No, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of adding smoked salmon to this dish. I know 6 sounds like a lot of eggs but it puffs up nicely and needs to fill in the space… using these egg noodles doesn’t allow it to lie flat… so there’s a fair bit of space to fill in. Now you have me curious…. I’m seriously considering making your version….I’m guessing it’s pretty good with smoked salmon…. do you also add the ham?

10. Stephen Osborn says:

Grandmother Horky made this dish with left-over baked ham, which was sent through a meat grinder. She also made her own noodles from flour and eggs. I have fond memories of this dish, but haven’t had it since the early 60’s. I don’t remember it being a heavily egg cenetered dish, but more of a white sauce to keep it moist.

• Pussycat says:

Honestly…. I’m sure there aren’t as many eggs in my mom’s as I put in it either, but I’ve never had it with ground meat. I’m sure there are many variations on the recipe.

11. kristinnollmarsh says:

I grew up eating this dish exactly how you make it and I always thought my dad had made up the name. When I got older, after he’d already passed, I had no idea how to spell it. I thought it was called “Shook-a-flinch-kee” and I wasn’t even aware it was an ethnic Czech dish! My dad was 1/2 Czech and 1/2 Irish, but since our surname was Irish, we always identified with our “Irish side.” So, I never knew much about my 1/4 Czech heritage.

Recently, my husband discovered that he is actually 1/3 Czech (he had no idea until we did his family tree) so for fun, we’ve been trying Czech dishes. I was looking up a recipe for knedliky and for some reason Šunkafleky popped into my head and I wondered “could that be a real Czech dish?” So, I googled “Czech noodle and egg dish” and I found your post. Thank you so much! After 47 years of eating it, I now know how to SPELL it!

We ate it with ketchup, if I remember correctly (I haven’t had it in years) and fried up the leftovers for breakfast the next day (if any was left over!)

I will be checking out the rest of your blog for more meal ideas! 🙂

• Pussycat says:

I’m so glad you found me… not all my dishes are Czech but I do still love all the Czech food. I hope you make this and it brings back lots of warm wonderful memories! Keep me posted on the things you try!

12. Chris says:

I have been eating this for years and never knew how it was spelled, either! I think Šunkafleky translates to “spots of ham” or something like that. My dad is 1/2 Czech (Paternal side) and I sprung this dish on him after eating and enjoying it with Czech friends. I was just browsing and wondering how it was spelled and typed in Czech noodle egg casserole and found this page!
    I keep the recipe just as simple as you do: traditional. I sprinkle paprika on the top to really add some Czechness to it. The Denver way to eat this is with Mexican style hot sauce drizzled on it. Chipotle based hot sauces are especially good for bringing out the smoky undertones of the ham in the dish. Cholula is also really good, as is Valentina Extra Hot. Adding hot sauce also allows one to reduce a the salt in the recipe.
    Thank you for the page dedicated to this great dish!

• Pussycat says:

Hey Chris… thanks so much for stopping by… I LOVE hot sauce but never really thought about drizzling it on top…I’ll try it that way next time great idea for sure. And yes, I think Czechs often sprinkle a good paprika on top of things to make them look pretty… and taste better.

I’m glad you found me too… Happy Holidays!

13. Diane says:

Our family just loves this !! Czechs on my Dad’s side !!

14. Karl Joden says:

I remember grandma making this dish and she always had a second dish made deeper – like a loaf of bread. This never got eaten on the weekend as it was put in the refrigerator and used during the week, cold. My grandfather would take the Sunkafleky out and cut it like a thick slick of bread. Then put it between two pieces of marbled rye bread, and that would be his sandwich for work.
    When I got a little older, he let me have one of these gastronomic gems for lunch – too good for words……..
    Chef KO
    Albuquerque, NM

15. Alaine Major says:

My grandmother used to make this the day after when we had
    Sunday ham. Sooooo good. Soooo happy I found this site.

16. I am introducing my children to my Czechoslovakian heritage. My grandparents were born and raised there before coming to the US. I’m super excited to have found this recipe and will be making it for them tonight.

17. Janice says:

I found your site because I was looking up how to spell fleky. I made it for dinner last night and am bringing some over to my daughter and her husband tonight. 3 of my 4 grandparents were Czech so not sure which side of the family the recipe came from. We had it all the time as kids. Great comfort food.

18. Fourth generation Czech here. Was researching the English recipe (mine is in Czech) and stumbled on your site. Ketchup and pickles?! True Czech tradition serves this recipe with a tart apricot & prune sauce over the baked noodle dish. Fruit sauce is derived from dried fruit boiled over the stove with a little sugar and water, softened to make a nice sauce. I’ll be serving to my 91 year old parents this evening as one of their favorite year round dishes. My Canadian husband has a similar dish in his family heritage, noted in the family bible from the 16th century. Must be a favorite of many cultures!

• Pussycat says:

Hi Linda… Interesting. We have never had it with fruit. Somehow stewed fruit seems wrong when the dish has ham in it?! I suppose to each his own… 🙂 Certainly there isn’t one way of eating any dish and often there are various versions of it. I’d be curious though… Do you make it with ham AND then also have stewed fruit? I love tart and also apricots and prunes… I might be tempted to try it that way.

19. This is Chuck Nohavec who is third generation Czech. My mother and grandmother always used a prune and apricots compote to put over the flickhky. Try it you will love it. Enjoy.

20. jana says:

We ate this occasionally growing up. I always thought it ment ham and noodles and its how I found your recipe named shunkafleky. Well that’s how we pronounced it too. I’m inclined to agree with Chris in it may mean flecks of ham? My mom let me grind leftover ham and it seemed like a skillet dinner with flat noodles mixed with the bits of ham. It seemed a bit dry lol! As for the fruit or fruit compote it’s probably similar to enjoying cranberry sauce and turkey. Try sliced strawberries on a breaded chicken patty or porkchops and applesauce. My mom’s recipe might be great with the hot sauce idea. We used to eat something called drobinki soup too. Also don’t know how it’s actually spelled. Great thread! Thanks!

21. Kay says:

We are Czech and my grandma would make this for us!…thanks for posting the recipe

• Kay says:

Also a note: my grandma would cook the noodles in the water that she cooked the smoked pork butt in…& the would add the cut up smoked pork butt to the drain noodles-I don’t ever remember her baking it like a casserole-but I’m gonna give that a try!

22. Molly says:

Thank You!!! Just like my Mothers

23. Rosemary Zamecnik says:

Wow, I cannot believe I actually found this receipe online. I have left over ham and my hubs is a Bohunk and his Mom and Grandmother used to make this with left over ham. He loves it and asked me to make it for him. This is just like the receipe his sister uses. They call it Fleitschki.

24. Karen Grafstrom says:

Thank you! This dish is a family tradition for generations! Starting with my Czech grandmother, then my mother, then me, and now my daughters, we make this whenever we have leftover ham. We’ve always poured ketchup on it and have never heard of pairing it with pickles and/or pickled beets! Our recipe lists wide egg noodles, ham cut in cubes, milk, egg, and peas & carrots. It seems to have lost some eggs over the years, so we’ll have to try it using your version. Our grandparents would talk Czech so we couldn’t understand so we shortened their version and called it Fleashki. Now we have more names for it… sunkafleky, fleky, and fleitschke which sounds more like our version.

25. Lynn Hayden says:

All of my grandparents were born in Czechoslovakia and my maternal grandmother and then my mother made this exact recipe. The called it by both names, but mostly fleitschki. We HAD to serve it with cucumbers in sour cream and vinegar. I have always thought this casserole to be kind of bland, BUT it is my very favorite! I think serving it with something tart or acidy makes it the perfect dish. And if there was any left-overs, the next day my father would slice it and fry it in butter. That was really delicious.

26. M Vanek says:

Thank you so much for posting this recipe and others. My grandmother used to make many recipes such as bread dumplings, fruit dumplings, potato dumplings, chicken paprikash, and this noodle and ham casserole when I was a little girl. She passed away and I never had the recipes and always regretted that I was not able to learn them from her.

27. EPC says:

My grandma used to make this and although I probably watched her make it multiple times, I couldn’t recall the details. I hadn’t thought of it in years until my daughter asked for a family recipe for one of her college classes. Thanks for posting it!

28. Maggie Mraz says:

I’m an American who is part Czech (grandfather immigrated over about 4 generations ago to the Chicago area). My grandmother would make a ham and noodle dish and we would put ketchup on it too! We would always call it “shookie-flankie” and us grandkids assumed it was a Czech recipe, but we weren’t sure. So excited to learn the real name and learn a new way to prepare it!

29. Jarmila Kubikova says:

Today I felt like making Sunkafleky. Didn’t make it in years so I wanted to refresh my memory and came across this website. I use sautéed onion and garlic to make this delicious unhealthy dish 😂 Thank you, Jarmila

30. My sister is hosting a student from the Czech Republic for the next few months. Of course he’s excited to try all things “American”, however, I thought that I would make him a dinner or two that reminded him of home. This is definitely one that I think he would probably know and enjoy. Is there anything else you can suggest that I make? (I’ll let you know how this recipe turns out as well.)

I know from following him on FB that he really likes Trdelnik (sweet treat), so I thought I would give that a try too. I found one person who posted the recipe on Food.com so I’m hopeful I can give it a go. It looks a little intimidating to be honest, but I’m willing to give it a try!

Thanks in advance.

• Monica Sliva says:

My cousin came to do a grand tour of America last year and after 3 months, he was homesick for Czech food. I made him Szekely Goulash, which is a pork goulash with sauerkraut and sour cream added. There are good recipes on the internet and he was so happy!

31. Mary Westfall says:

Eureka! (I found it) my maternal grandmother was born in Moravia which was a part of Czechoslovakia. She never made this but my parents made this and I had no idea this was a Czech dish. This is the #1 comfort food above and beyond macaroni and cheese. Simple and tasty – the best part are the browned bits of noodle. Mine is in the oven now and sorry that I am drooling on my post

32. Ben S. says:

My grandfather was Czech and he made a version of this that used heavy cream instead of milk and smoked pork butt instead of ham or bacon. The result is a sweet/salty dish that just begs overconsumption!

33. Dennis says:

I also add a can of green beans to help pretend that this is healthy!

34. Tom says:

My Czech grandmother’s version — passed on to my mother and my sisters — uses home-made noodles, cut in squares rather than strips, cooked and then fried in a skillet with small squares of bacon rather than ham. The key is to NOT stir the skillet, so some of the noodles get crispy golden brown. One of my family’s favorite foods!

35. BillE says:

Both sides of my wife’s family came over from Bohemia so she’s the real deal. This was always a favorite of her’s as a kid. We started making in several years back from memory and it’s a little different than some of the recipes posted here. Ours is not a casserole, but all done on the stovetop. A pound of egg noodles cooked and drained with about a half stick of butter mixed in, 2 cups of cubed ham at room temp, and a dozen eggs with a half cup of cream, scrambled. Cook separately, add a little salt and peeper, mix together and it’s ready to go. Best comfort food ever.

• Mary Westfall says:

This would be a great way to cook this faster than baking in the oven. Especially if you need that Czech Comfort food as soon as possible! Thank you for giving me an alternative. With Easter hams being baked next Sunday – we will hopefully have lots of left over Ham. I like this more than just ham- can’t wait – this will be a treat. Anyone ever had a lamb cake at Easter? It was a pound cake baked in a lamb mold with vanilla icing and and coconut? My Czech Grandmother made it every Easter – Hugs and Happy Easter everyone!🐇