Lemon Curry Chicken

Posted by Pussycat in Main Dishes | 7 Comments

Yum

This chicken has been a favourite in our house almost since the earth was cooling… 🙂  I had it once at a friend’s house and ever since have been making it at home.  It’s sweet, a little spicy, gooey and crunchy all at the same time.  Even people who aren’t so crazy about curry love this dish.  It has always been my children’s favourite for many, many years.

curry chickenIMG_0007

Chicken pieces (for this one I made drumsticks)

• Cornflakes
  • Flour
  • Egg

Bread the chicken pieces, first in flour, then in egg and last in the crushed cornflakes and put in oven to bake at about 350 for 30-40 minutes.  Then make the sauce.

Sauce

• 1 Cup Lemon Juice (I generally just use the bottled stuff here)
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 2 Heaping Tablespoons of Curry Powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika

Mix all the sauce ingredients in a measuring cup and heat in the microwave just for about 20 seconds so that it warms up and the sugar dissolves.  Reserve to pour over the chicken when it’s baked.

curry chickenIMG_0014

curry chickenIMG_0069

Once the chicken is just about done… You then pour the curry sauce over the chicken and bake for about another 10 minutes… watch it and don’t bake too much longer since the sugar in the sauce will burn if you bake too long.  Bake it just long enough for the sauce to reduce a bit and get all sticky and gooey.

Enjoy… by the way… I will typically cover the pan with aluminum foil sine the sauce can get quite sticky and the odd time I baked a little long it’s become a bit of a pain to wash.  It just makes life easier 🙂

Just as a side note… once everyone in the house has had this… be careful the next time you make it… my children have had a habit of coming around just as I’m pulling this out of the oven, they can’t wait… and they start scooping up the excess sauce with their fingers… it’s a finger-licken party for sure!

curry chickenIMG_0079

7 Responses to Lemon Curry Chicken

1. Saba says:

This recipe looks delicious but I was wondering, how many chicken drumsticks did you use for this recipe?

• Pussycat says:

Thanks, yes they are delicious… I think I used a large container of chicken… which filled (full) a large pan. I didn’t count but I’m thinking about 20? I generally cook these in bulk since I find breading anything to be a bit of a pain. Plus these are also really good for leftovers.

Hope that helps.

2. june says:

Hi I was wondering if I could use the pinko crumbs instead of cornflakes, would that work?

Thanks!

• Pussycat says:

It would be different… the cornflakes definitely give it a specific texture that is different. When the cornflakes get wet (with the sauce) they still stay together really well because they’re a heavier breading…I’m not sure the same would happen with panko crumbs. We don’t really eat cereal at home anymore but I buy cornflakes specifically for this chicken recipe. If you try it let me know how it works out. I’m sure it will still taste quite good.

3. Tracy says:

Have you ever tried this with chicken breasts? Just happens to be what I have on hand.

• Pussycat says:

Hi Tracy,

I have once or twice when I’ve had a whole chicken of pieces and it’s fine. Our family just prefers dark meat. The cooking time will vary obviously as the breasts don’t cook the same as drumsticks with the bone-in.

4. chossid says:

I’ve always made this with any parts of chicken. I buy cornflake crumbs for it.